Monday, October 22, 2007

In the Que

I'm in the que. In the que. I'm Queing.

It's amazing how many Malaysians do not know the meaning of this term. It upsets me (most of you too, i bet) when someone jumps in front of the que when you have been patiently waiting for the past 15 minutes, holding your pee, craving for a cigarette, weathering your hunger pangs while giving apologetic looks to your other half who is waiting for you in the car whilst battling a migraine. Out of the blue, comes some joker who double parked, waltzed into the Kiosk (PJ, Section 14), cuts the que, pays and waltzes off into the sunset.

Reason? Well, he was just buying a cigarette when the rest of us were buying more than one item.

Annoying, ain't it?

Yeah, i know. I'm the lady who sharply reprimands the evil doer and demands he "step away from the damn counter and move to be back of the line!". Yup, that's me. If my reflexes are too slow to do that, the cashier gets it from me. Oh, he gets it good alright.

I think the cashier is as much at fault as Mr Joker. By servicing a client who doesn't que, means you are condoning this behavior. I sure as hell ain't settling for that. After a tongue lashing (another 5 minutes), i'm off to tend to my darling who is practically fainting in the car.

I think everyone must own up and admit that they have (at least once) jumped a que. This is a bad habit that Malaysians must stop condoning! Why should we tolerate such rude behavior? It is one of the most selfish daily actions that people make.. and it says a lot about us. Selfish. Thoughtless. We should be more considerate and thoughtful about other people.

Therefore I encourage you.. yes, i'm talking to you. I'm encouraging all of you to stop being the victim of this behavior! Should it happen to you, speak up. Speak up and be heard! Tell the evil doer that you were there first and advise him to be more courteous... yeah, not easy.. but try. We have to start somewhere right?

One advice though: Don't try it on a larger person.. hehe.. pick your battles and win 'em!

Sigh. The necessary battles we must fight every day..

4 comments:

The Shadow said...

Oooo...so feisty! But ultimately, correct! KL Confide's got a point...it’s a twisted sort of Pavlovian conditioning.

It’s rewarding. Cut a que, no worries! Get service faster, less hassle, and best of all, everyone shuts up like a good little boy/girl…there’s absolutely no deterrent.

So put up yer dukes, and keep swingin’!

malaysianminx said...

u know im like dat babe, will dfntly tell em off, especially if its a q for food! lol

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

hi there,

i have no patience with queue jumpers.
really... unless of course, that person asks for permission to jump queue due to very very special circumstance.
i usually allow.
sometimes when i have loads of things to pay for, and then the person behind me has just one or two items, i would offer to let him/her to go ahead and exchange places with me.

so you see.... we are not rigid. we have a heart too.
it's those rude inconsiderate people that i'd like to kick.

take care and thanks for visiting.

PS: i'm sure we have met, as you have indicated.

MakLijah said...

Wow.. Kak Ena visited my blog! Thank you!

And yes, I agree. If a person was polite enough to ask me if they could go first due to one thing or another, I would let them. And I (and most of you, i think) have done this many times over.

The problem is the people who think it's their birthright to never que... they really ruffle my feathers.